Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pencils and Pens

I have been busy with school meetings and getting my classroom together. Keeping busy has been good. I have all my bulletin boards and posters up in my room. I have to start lesson planning which is really overwhelming. I have to remind myself that whether I was in Haiti or America I would have to do this. 

Today I went to the school office to ask for some supplies for my desk. I needed some pens, pencils, tape, and folders. When I asked for some she gave me 2 of each. I was taken aback when that is all she gave me. Does she know that I loose pens and can't keep track of the last place I left it? 

I went back to my room a little annoyed. Once I sat down with my 4 writing utensils for the year I started to think about why I need a whole box of each. I only write with one hand. It would make sense to only have one pen. 

I am used to living in excess- having more than enough of what I need and what I want. In Haiti God is definitely blessing me with more than the bare essentials, but I have been stripped away from many of the comforts in my life. 

When we choose to step out of our comfort zone and trust Jesus it will be hard. God does not promise that it will be easy. There will be times we cry ourselves to sleep, times we want to give up, times we are frustrated, and times that we feel lonely. God does promise that during all of these times He will be with us. He alone is enough. 

He alone is enough for all of me.  I pray that I would really believe that with my whole heart.  

2 comments:

  1. Love this perspective, Jill. Thank you for sharing your heart!! We LOVED skyping with you tonight. Thanks you for loving the Heistand family--you are one of us, you know. Miss you, sweet girl and we are praying for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, The kids have been praying for you every night this summer. I know you are going to do great! We need to skype sometime. Thanks for the post, keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete

Followers