Monday, August 8, 2011

Blessings

I slept really well after quite an adventure yesterday. I didn't get any mosquito bites and the air was on all night. God totally provided with those 2 things. He probably knew if I was hot and I eaten alive by bugs after such an eventful day I would be out of here in a day! :) 

This morning we had a staff meeting. It was really encouraging to meet and get to know the other teachers. They were all really friendly and made me feel welcomed. There are a mix of teachers. Some of them are older, some are younger, some are new to Haiti, and some have lived here a long time. After the meeting I felt very refreshed and excited about the year. Having a mission and goal was really helpful in keeping me focused. 

I had sometime to clean out my classroom. The previous teacher who taught 2nd grade left things very organized and was really sweet in the notes she left. God really used that today! In Haiti there is alot of dust. There was tons of dust on everything. The word dusting has a whole new meaning! Supposedly tomorrow morning there will be more dust on everything I just cleaned today...oh well! I rearranged desks and started to decorate. I will put pictures up soon. 

This afternoon I skyped my mom and dad. That was really good, but I got a bit sad after that. Soon I was quickly distracted by going to the grocery store. Giant had everything that you would need. Some of the brands I love were there. It cost a lot more in the States but dont worry dad I will budget carefully. 

When I got back I went for a run with one of the new teachers around the school campus. Each lap around the campus is about a quarter of a mile. When I came back to shower I found out that our water was out. They have a cistern but it was low and we didnt give enough notice to have it refilled. I went over the campus apartments and took a shower in one of the other teachers places. 

I had dinner with a bunch of the new teachers. It was awesome to have dinner together, form relationships, and share our hearts. It was such a blessing to end the night on such a wonderful note. 

God is faithful. I need to open my eyes and choose to see Him. My mom said to me today two things that were really wise. 

~You cannot live each day on a roller coster. But - it is normal to go through an emotional time. Trust in the Lord, not on your emotions. 

~ Take each day at a time and trust in the Lord. 

My prayer is that that would become my heart and desire....Trust God not myself.

1 comment:

  1. (((((((Jillian)))))))) I BIG hug from Grandma' P. Mom told me you had a flight delay Sunday, but I didn't know what it was until I read your blog this morning (Tuesday). I am sure I would have been doing the same as you were on the plane......what an experience!! I don't believe God actually "tests" us, but he gives us every opportunity to trust and keep the faith.

    You and I ARE much alike, as we have discovered through the years :-) Like you, I would have been very thankful for the air conditioning and the lack of mosquito bites, after the eventful plane trip !!

    Living a "normal" life in conditions totally unfamiliar to you, is quite different from short "visits". (Like, being able to run with a fellow teacher was great, but not being able to go into your own shower was a challenge :-) You will learn that God provides MANY "little" things that we tend to take for granted.

    Your Mom DID tell you two meaningful things: One's emotions tend to cloud our mental processes.....makes it harder for us to remember that God IS there with us and: take one day at a time. As I have gotten much older than you, I realize how important it is, to take one day at a time.

    Remember another phrase that I have always liked: "If God takes you TO it, he will take you THROUGH it".

    I love you and am so proud of you, Jillian.

    ReplyDelete

Followers