Friday, February 17, 2012

Our attitude towards sin

Over the past week my 2nd graders have become experts on saying hurtful things, tattle tailing, being very dramatic and crying. 

This afternoon as a class we had a very important meeting about our behavior and the classroom environment. I explained the importance of being kind and saying encouraging things to each other. We also talked about loving each other even when it is hard. 

After our discussion, I asked my students to raise their hand if they had bullied or been mean to another student over this past week. Almost everyone raised their hand. I was amazed at their honesty and quickness in admitting their own faults.

Next, I asked each student to go immediately to the person they had hurt, apologize, and ask for forgiveness.  

Out of the corner of my eye I could see 2 girls apologizing and hugging. Suddenly they both broke into tears.  They were hysterically crying. I went over to hug them and asked what was wrong. Annabel said between sobs, "I know what I did was so hurtful to Rebecca, and it makes me so sad that I did it." 

WOW! My eyes filled up with tears as she explained this to me. Instantly I thought of my own heart and attitude toward sin. Is my first reaction to fall at the feet of Jesus completely remorseful for my actions? Does my own sin and brokenness bring me to my knees before the Lord? 

God, I am totally undeserving of Your love. I deserve nothing but death. Thank you for sending Jesus to die in my place on the cross. Because of that sacrifice I can experience life with You.  I pray that Truth would resonate deep in my heart, and cause me to live my life totally surrendered to You alone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers