Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Heart for the Kids on the Street

Everyday there are boys on the street that wash cars with old dirty rags. As they do this they beg for both money and food. I do not know if they truly are hungry or in need of money, but I do know they do not often get whatever they are given. They are forced to give what they receive to their "boss". This is just common knowledge on the streets of Port-au-Prince. 

For whatever reason this past week I have really noticed the boys and have paid close attention to what they do. Today one of the 14 year old boys stuck out his hand and asked me for money. I reached out my hand and shook his to introduce myself. It took him by surprise, but we did have a short conversation. After finding out a little about him, I said I wasn't going to give him money and said goodbye. He then smiled a huge smile at me and walked away. 

My heart breaks for those boys. How unfair that they live that life? How frustrating that they are out begging day after day for food and money? Will they ever do anything else? Why does that have to be normal and comfortable for them? 

God, I pray that these boys would know you. I pray that you would bring joy and life into their hearts. I pray they would find value in You alone. Bring them freedom and show them Your love! 

Living in Haiti is hard. It is beyond frustrating to see all the injustice and poverty. God, help me find comfort in knowing one day You will restore all creation and it will be the way You intended. With all my heart,  I pray that day would come soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers